How to Get a Green Card in the USA through Marriage

green card

This is the same process no matter which state you are in.

This is an account of how me, an American citizen, and my future wife who was foreign-born got her a green card. Let me start by saying this process was not extremely difficult. In the end, after paying about $1,800 in application/processing fees and $400 for required medical expenses and vaccinations, three months later (we made one mistake on our form that we had to correct that probably delayed the process by a month) our do-it-yourself application was approved.

Here are the basics of how to apply for a green card, or in other words, how to apply for permanent residence through marriage. To begin, these were the forms we submitted with our successful application:

Before talking about the specifics of these forms I should mention one detail about our situation. My wife came to the U.S. from a European Union country, and as such had looser visa requirements (called the visa-waiver program- she basically had to say she wasn’t a former member of the National Socialist Party or a terrorist and she could come to the U.S. for three months without a visa). Countries participating in the visa waiver program include Japan, Australia, Canada; 38 countries in total. Really it doesn’t matter how a spouse has legally arrived in the U.S., just as long as he or she is here.

Officially, if the spouse is coming to the U.S. for the purpose of getting married, his or her American partner needs to fill out an I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance(e) (form|Instructions), also known as a K-1 Visa. In our case my wife (girlfriend at the time) came as a tourist and we decided to get married after she arrived. So we did not fill out an I-129F form, which saved us having to wait months apart for the K-1 Visa to be approved, my wife having to make visits to the American Consulate in her country, and a $340 application fee.

A note on this however- it seems that Homeland Security can technically say a person has violated the law if a Green Card is not issued within a person’s original visa limit (usually 90 days). This appears to be what happened in the case of the American Khalifah al-Akili’s British wife, who was threatened with arrest on charges of overstaying her visa. This case probably also had other motivations behind it though, because this happened while al-Akili was in a federal prison on terrorism charges.

In my case my wife received her Green Card with no problems. If my memory serves me correctly, as long as you have submitted an Application to Adjust Status (I-485) your spouse can remain in the US until a final decision has been reached.

A note regarding same-sex marriages: the US Supreme Court has recently ruled same-sex marriages should be recognized by the federal government, so all of this information also applies for same-sex marriages as well.

The Nitty Gritty of the Immigration Forms

My wife and I submitted all these forms in the same envelop to the same address by mail.

I-130 Petition for Alien Relative: $420

This form is submitted by the person with U.S. citizenship or permanent residence to the USCIS. Supporting documents, detailed below, are required to prove two things: (1) that the filer is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and (2) that you are both married to each other.

The person submitting this must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status with a copy of one of the following (I used a copy of my birth certificate):

  • Birth Certificate from somewhere in the United States
  • Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport
  • USCIS- (formerly INS)-issued certificate of naturalization or citizenship
  • U.S. embassy- or consulate-issued Report of Birth Abroad (of an American, form FS-240), or an original (not a copy) statement that you are a U.S. citizen with a valid passport
  • In cases where someone does not have any of these they may use an affidavit, school record, church record, or census record, showing U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status, though this is a bit more complicated

To prove that you are married simply submit a copy of your marriage certificate. Easy, right? Okay, there are a few more things you will need than just that:

  • If either of you were previously married you will need to submit official documents showing a legal divorce
  • Two passport-style color photographs of you and your spouse taken in the last 30 days
  • Each of you will need to include a G-325A Biographic Information form – these are quick, self-explanatory and don’t cost anything extra
  • If you can, submit something that shows your marriage is genuine, like a joint rental agreement, joint bank accounts, the birth certificates of your children, or joint ownership of property

If your marriage certificate (or any other necessary document) is in a language other than English you will need to get it translated by someone who can certify both that he or she has provided a complete/correct translation and that the translator is capable of translating the language into English.

I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status: $985 + $85 for biometrics

The I-485 application can be filed together with the I-130 Petition. The purpose of the I-485 is to change your status (in my wife’s case, she was in the U.S. as a tourist, allowed to stay three months) to that of a permanent resident, and is completed and filed by the foreign spouse. This form is pretty straight forward and you just take it line by line. On Part 2: Application Type, my wife checked box “H,” and wrote in, “Married U.S. citizen.”

Notice to all mobsters, international drug lords, spies, and members of terrorist organizations: be careful when filling out certain portions of this form, you may be denied based on your answers to questions like, “Have you ever conspired to engage in political assassination, hijacking, or terrorist activity,” or “Do you intend to engage in espionage while in the United States?”

I-864 Affidavit of Support

Up to this point my wife and I were fairly confident her application for permanent residence was going to be all right, and then we read that I needed to make more than $15,510 per year in order to sponsor her. In my case here, I made enough money to support us both and we weren’t on any government assistance or social welfare programs, but that still wasn’t enough to allow me to sponsor my wife. On the other hand I understand that the government has to draw the line somewhere, and we would run into this same obstacle in the future when I was applying for a residence permit in the socialist Mecca of Sweden.

Footnotes aside, ultimately one of my relatives agreed to sponsor my wife, and it was he who therefore filed form I-864, not my wife or myself. An important point about this: it is a good idea to make sure whoever is being sponsored (i.e. my wife in this case) has good medical insurance. If my wife were to get cancer or be in a bad car crash, my sponsoring relative could be liable to pay the medical bills. The same can go for lawsuits, et cetera, so the sponsor may also want to consider some kind of liability insurance.

To be a sponsor a person’s income needs to be above the federal poverty guideline for their household size. For example for me to sponsor my wife I would need to make more than $15,510- the federal poverty level for a household size of two (my wife and I) at the time I’m writing this. The sponsor will need to have his or her income figures as reported on federal taxes for the preceding three years, along with a copy of the most recent year’s federal tax return. Note that the value of the sponsor’s total assets (house, etc) can also be included when figuring an eligibility for sponsorship.

I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record: No cost to file

My wife and I completed this form in two parts: first she received a few vaccinations she didn’t have records of, although she was sure she had had them before (MMR and Tetanus). Then after being cleared on her tuberculosis and syphilis tests, she took these results and her vaccination records to an official civil surgeon. This was probably our strangest experience of the entire process as we were interviewed by a doctor (together and separately) who was obviously a fundamentalist Christian (we were tipped off by several crucifixes and bibles), who asked us questions as if she had received screening instructions from both the federal government and Jesus.

Anyhow, the important things to know are what vaccinations the alien needs to have and to find a government-approved civil surgeon. And don’t forget to have the civil surgeon fill out his or her portion of the I-693 and give it to you in a sealed envelope – marked, “Do not open, for USCIS use only” – for you to turn in with the rest of your application forms and papers. Besides communicable diseases (until recently this included HIV/AIDS) with an emphasis on STDs, the civil surgeon will ask about mental disorders and drug and alcohol addiction/abuse.

You can use the USCIS’s Civil Surgeons Locator to find a doctor who is authorized to fill out an I-693. I don’t know if there is actually some kind of international standard for recognized vaccinations. Luckily my wife (from a former Soviet Republic) had a vaccination record issued by the World Health Organization for some of her required shots, and our civil surgeon recognized these as valid. USCIS shows all of their required vaccinations here on their webpage, a list comprised of:

  • Measles, Mumps, and Rubella
  • Polio
  • Pertussis (Whooping Cough)
  • Hepatitis B (only the first shot is required)
  • Tetanus
  • Diphtheria

You can shop around for approved civil surgeons, who don’t necessarily have to be the ones who dole out the vaccines (in our case we found the county health department to be the cheapest provider of these). Altogether we paid about $100 for the civil surgeon exam and $300 for tests and vaccinations.

I-765 Application for Employment Authorization: $380 (free if filed with I-485)

I-765 is known officially as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and more commonly as a work permit application. It is a very basic one-page form that the foreign spouse can submit along with everything else, and is not required, although it does provide the applicant with the right to work in the United States upon approval. This is definitely worth doing now — it is free to file if you do this with form I-485.

I-131 Application for Travel Document: No cost if you filed I-485

This form is also not required but we wanted to get this to be safe. What I-131 does is allow its holder (the foreign spouse) to leave the country while the I-485 (green card) application is being processed. From the time my wife submitted her application it took about three months before she received her green card, and she received permission from her I-131 to leave the country after about one month (both applications were submitted together). That’s not a huge difference, but we weren’t sure how long the process would take. So we decided to submit an I-131 in case an emergency came up and she needed to go home. If she hadn’t had an approved I-131 and did leave the country before she received her green card (I-485 approval) then she may have had to start the entire green card process over upon re-entry to the U.S. The I-131 application is a simple three-page document and required my wife to write something like, “Applying to travel home in an emergency.”

Post Application


My wife received notification of her biometrics appointment about a month after she submitted her paperwork. For this she simply reported to the federal building to have her fingerprints and picture taken, a process lasting about 15 minutes.


When I was researching this part on the internet I came across horror stories of spouses being taken to separate rooms and asked what their partner’s favorite sex position was, or if the spouse had any scars or tattoos in private areas- questions to make sure your marriage isn’t phony. About two and a half months after my wife’s application we received a notice to come for an interview to my hometown’s federal building for an interview that would turn out to be fairly quick and painless. However my spouse and I did not fall under any “false marriage” red-flag categories, rumored to include things like:

  • Different religions
  • Different races
  • Language barriers
  • Significant age difference

We brought originals of all the documents we used in the various forms we filed and tried to be relaxed (note for others, also bring copies of these originals). Our federal agent interviewer asked basic questions to determine if we were mentally unstable, being coerced, drug addicts, sex workers, alcoholics, or communist sympathizers (okay, not the last one). She also asked about when I proposed to my wife and we brought pictures showing the two of us together in family situations. After about 45 minutes our interview was complete.

Two weeks later, after a total of about three months, my wife’s green card application was approved with all the trimmings, arriving by mail. As credit to the United States immigration process, I will say that my wife had relatively few problems and a quick approval in the U.S. However, you could also say we paid for that, as the U.S. immigration process cost us about $2,200.

back to immigrating to the USA


33 thoughts on “How to Get a Green Card in the USA through Marriage

    1. Administrator Post author

      Thanks for the question, I forgot to mention that- I didn’t realize I had to make a certain amount of income before my wife would be eligible for a green card, so I started out by filling out the Affidavit of Support (I-864) in my name. I got a reply in the mail saying that I didn’t make enough and someone else would need to submit an Affidavit of Support on my wife’s behalf.

  1. Josie Rushing

    That’s a perfect blog. Thank you so much for the all information. I’d like to ask you five questions, here we go 😀

    1) When did you do this whole process?
    2) Where (which state) did you do the application?
    3) So you’re telling that if you havent had that mistake, the whole process about 2 months? =)
    4) My husband (the american cit) is on social security for disabiliity, do you think that would be a problem in the I-864 Affidavit of Support?
    5) Is it possible for any person to fill out this form (I-864)?

    Thank you soooo much!

    1. Administrator Post author

      Hello Josie and thanks for reading. To answer your questions:

      1) Started the process around October, 2010
      2) Washington State
      3) Yes, when I did it (without the mistake) I think it would have taken about 2-3 months
      4) My understanding is that as long as the person who fills out the I-864 meets the income requirement then it should work, and by default that would mean they are not receiving social benefits. As for social security disability, from what I’ve read you can count this towards your total income as long as it isn’t Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
      5) I believe any US citizen who is at least 18 years old and who lives in the US can fill out the form. You can also fill it out in your name and get someone else to co-sign with you.

      Good luck!

  2. Kenneth Cooper

    How much do my girl friend has to pay for a green card to have the right to work here in the United States ,She is from Ghana and is coming to Michigan,I need do she got to fill out a 1-485 form .I need all the details about the Green Card.

    1. Administrator Post author

      Hello Kenneth,
      Assuming you mean that your girlfriend wants to come to the US to marry you, the entire process will cost around $1,830 plus any additional vaccination costs. That includes the cost for a K1 fiance visa (which can be obtained by filing form I-129f Petition for Alien Fiance(e)) that will allow her to enter the US so you can get married.

      Good luck

  3. Rebecca

    This is an excellent blog, thank you so much for taking the time to write this. We are going through this exact process at the moment and are looking to file this week. We’ve almost completed forms I-130, G-1145, G-325A and I-485 and we have the necessary documents to support each form however, my ESTA (VWP) comes to an end on March 30 and I would like to stay in the country. I understand that by completing form G-1145 I will receive electronic notification when the US Citizenship Services accept my application (confirm it is being processed) and once I receive this I understand I can stay in the country even though my ESTA runs out however, I was wondering if you could tell me how long it took for you to receive your electronic notification? Do you think I will receive it in time? Also, should we complete I-864 at the same time? Thank you

    1. Administrator Post author

      Hello Rebecca,

      My understanding of the law is that once you file to change your status (I-485) you can stay in the country while it is being processed, however if you are denied then you could face all the consequences of overstaying your visa.

      Perhaps it is different for filing a G-1145, but when my wife turned in her paperwork I believe she received confirmation that her application was being evaluated by snail mail at our home address, not by email. Once her application was complete, receiving that confirmation was in a matter of weeks.

      Yes, I believe you should turn in I-864 along with everything else (that is what we did).

      Best of luck

  4. Rebecca

    Sorry to ask another question, however I’m currently completing Part 3 of Form-I-485 and wondered if your wife ticked the ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ box for the question “Were you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer?”, I’m inclined to tick ‘Yes’ given I experienced the normal immigration inspection when arriving in the US however I’m wondering if by ‘inspected’ this is actually referring to something more detailed and intense? I also wondered if your wife put her ESTA/VWP details in the ‘Nonimmigrant Visa Number’ box?

    I hope you don’t mind answering my questions – please let me know if you are unable to help.


    1. Administrator Post author

      Hello again Rebecca- to be honest it was a while ago so we’re not sure exactly what she wrote on those questions you indicated. However, I think she said yes, she had been inspected, and that she indicated she arrived to the US via the visa waiver program.

      Anyway, if they have questions about those types of details they can always ask you about them during your interview. I think the main things they are checking for is if you are currently in the country legally, if your marriage is valid, if you are a threat to society, and if you can support yourself.

      Good luck with your interview, I bet it will go fine

      1. Alexa

        Dear Admin,
        What a helpful and great website! Thank you for sharing your experiences with your process. You said your wife is from the Soviet Republic? I am guessing Slovakia/Czeh Republic? I am from a neighbouring European country and pretty much going through the same what you experienced. My question would be: Did your wife left after the 90 days ( As ESTA requires) ?
        Many thanks

  5. Jenny

    Thank you for a great post! I just have one question I hope you can answer, did your wife have to go back to her home country during the process or could you do everything in the US?

    1. Administrator Post author

      Hello Jenny- no, she did not have to go back, we did everything in the US. She came as a tourist, then we got married while she was here, then filed paperwork to adjust her status.

      Hope that helps

  6. JB

    I am being asked to go back to US from Belgium. My husband and I married in November with a pending move this February. We already completed I 130 and received nitification it’s been received and pending status. My husband will join be In February when I move. An immigration consultant told us he could not stay in US past 90 days during the rest of green card process. Which they said averages 9-12 months. What’s your view on this? Thank you

  7. Administrator Post author

    Hello JB,
    First let me clarify: you are a US citizen or permanent resident, your husband is not, you were married outside the US, and you both were not living in the US when you were married.

    I can’t comment based on my own experience because our situations are slightly different. I can at least mention that when my wife applied for a green card it took about about three months to process. Good luck and hopefully the process goes fast. Perhaps someone else reading will have a more specific answer for you.

  8. teme

    That was a enlightening information

    Me and my fiance planning to get married next year in the USA
    My status is a permanent usa recident
    my fiance is a European citizen
    What should be done to get him live with me in the United states and how can he get a green card ?

  9. Natalie

    Thank you so much for this! There is nothing else on the internet that explains this process so thoroughly and you’ve made it so easy to understand!

    My love is visiting from South America and we want to get married here in the US. I’m a Us citizen. In your experience, did you get married in the US first and then proceed with this Green Card process afterwards? Did you need to get permission from anyone to get married, or was it fairly easy?

  10. Enoch

    Hello Admi , I will like to ask this relevant question . Am from ghana and my wife from the united states , we got married here in ghana and later go through the filling process for a C-R1 visa . Everything went through and I was at the Visa interview on the 10th of January 2018 but the counsellor denaid me of my visa saying ” I WILL BE A PUBLIC CHARGE ” which make no sense to us at all we are paling to re-apply but want to know what the public charge really means and how we can overcome that next time .

  11. Peter Alexander

    Hi, we recently got married in Oregon and are working through all of this at the moment. One question – my wife’s a student currently and wants to apply for employee authorization before anything else. Can she do that independently of the other documents and if so, once she receives that, does she need to remain a student? Thanks for any help you can provide!

  12. Katrina

    Hello I’m Katrina me and my now husband got married in September of this year and we are starting the process of getting his green card I wanted to know because he came here legally as a tourist but over stayed has been here for 2 yrs before we met and got married will that be a problem through our process or is it okay because he originally entered legally. Thank you for the help in advance I notice you stop responding in 2010 lol and just was hoping for a quick answer sorry to bother you

  13. Anonymous

    If I married a citizens and this citizen abandon
    me and I want to apply for a green card am I
    eligible to still apply for a green card so I can work in the US to support my self?

  14. Renee

    How much do you need to make to be eligible to get my bf a green card?
    Also if my boyfriend is already here in the United states but illegally what do I need to file?

  15. Abdul baqi

    Hello sir how are you I hope you are fine Sir I was supposed to go to USA and now I am in Saudi Arabia and I am a Pakistani citizen I should have applied for USA visa can you help me


Leave a Reply to Peter Alexander Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s